The month of February is Heart Health month. People are wearing red and spreading awareness for heart disease. Eating healthy meals is one of the ways to help combat this disease. February is also the month that I am officially over snow and being cooped up indoors eating casseroles. I want to eat fresh foods, even more than on January 1st when so many of us make a resolution to do so.
Fresh foods are not growing in my yard just yet, but I have begun to plan my garden that will take over my backyard this Spring and Summer. Go away snow, I have things to do.
When my body is craving fresh, whole, heart healthy foods, I turn try to eat colorful. Colorful? Fruits, Veggies, the more colors the better. Today, I am sharing a colorful, tasty, loaded with great things for your body, spinach and berry salad as well as a homemade vinaigrette.
This salad features spinach, berries and walnuts. Walnuts that are loaded with healthy fats, fiber and antioxidants. They are also a great way to add protein to a salad. I top this salad with shaved Parmesan Cheese. Cheese is not necessarily heart healthy, however a couple small shavings can add a ton of flavor to a dish without adding extra salt and unhealthy fats. A little goes a long way with a good cheese. There is also a healthy handful of chopped parsley in the salad. No salad should be without a fresh herb. These herbs are another way to add in great flavor without salt or fat.
Spinach Berry Salad
- Baby Spinach (I used 1 5oz bag)
- handful Fresh Parsley (chopped)
- 1/2lb Fresh Strawberries (Halved)
- 1 pint Fresh Blueberries (Whole)
- 1/4 cup Walnuts (Chopped)
- Parmesan Cheese (Shaved on top of salad to finish.)
- Strawberry Vinaigrette (To dress salad)
|Combine ingredients into a salad bowl.|
|Toss with fresh Strawberry Vinaigrette|
|To serve, top with shaved Parmesan Cheese|
This salad is wonderful topped with my homemade vinaigrette. It has heart healthy berries, extra virgin olive oil, sweetened with honey and just a wee pinch of salt.
- 1/2lb Fresh Strawberries
- 1 tablespoon Orange Juice
- 1/2 teaspoon Honey
- 2 tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 tablespoon White Wine Vinegar
- 1 pinch Salt
- 1 pinch Cracked Black Pepper
|Combine all ingredients into a blender and blend until smooth.|
Adding in heart healthy foods does not have to mean bland and boring any more. The Sunday Supper crew, has got you covered this week. Thank you Lori of Foxes Loves Lemons and Ethel of eating in instead for hosting such an inspiring event. Some good food and exercise and we are all on our way to strengthening our hearts.
Be sure to check out all these great, flavorful, healthy recipes and then log on to join us for a Twitter chat using hashtag #SundaySupper at 7pm ET Sunday evening!
Better for you breakfasts:
- Apple Pie Oatmeal by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Scones by Brunch with Joy
- Create-Your-Own Overnight Oatmeal by Rhubarb and Honey
- Orange, Mango, Lime & Ginger Smoothie by The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Pear Bran Muffins by Magnolia Days
- Stovetop Fruit & Honey Granola by What Smells So Good?
Jump start your health with these appetizers and snacks:
- Almond Crusted Chicken Nuggets by Momma’s Meals
- Chipotle Black Bean Dip by Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Lemon Aioli with Spring Vegetables by Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Mala Baked Tofu Bites by Palatable Pastime
- Parmesan Pistachio Kale Chips by The Texan New Yorker
Soups that’ll win your heart:
- Asian Soba Noodle Broth Bowl by Hip Foodie Mom
- Kale, Spinach, and Bean Soup by Ruffles & Truffles
- Mushroom Quinoa Soup by Pies and Plots
- Quinoa Chickpea Soup with Roasted Garlic & Veggies by Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- Turkey and Black-Eyed Peas Soup by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
Veggies, Sides, & Salads your heart will thank you for:
- Collard Greens with Cumin and Paprika by Nik Snacks
- Salmon Caesar Salad by Casa de Crews
- Kale Roasted Beet Salad with Honey Balsamic Dressing by Noshing with the Nolands
- Lightened-Up Creamed Spinach au Gratin by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Roasted Teriyaki Green Beans and Mushrooms by NeighborFood
- Salmon Salad Niçoise by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Seasoned Spinach & Bok Choy by Nosh My Way
- Spinach Berry Salad by Country Girl in the Village
- Sweet & Smokey Cauliflower Salad by Take a Bite Out of Boca
- Winter Citrus Salad with Avocado-Basil Dressing by Foxes Love Lemons
Healthy is the center of attention in these main courses:
- Baked Eggplant Parmesan by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Celeriac Noodles with Mushroom Ragu by The Joyful Foodie
- Gluten Free Roasted Chicken and Kale by Gluten Free Crumbley
- Heart Healthy Salmon Bento by The Ninja Baker
- Lemony Grilled Chicken by Peaceful Cooking
- Moroccan Salmon Tagine by Curious Cuisiniere
- Olive Oil-Poached Salmon with Pickled Cherry Salsa by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- One Pot Mexican Quinoa by Have Fun Saving
- Oven Baked Tilapia Tacos by Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Piperies Yemistes me Pligouri – Bulgur Stuffed Peppers by Food Lust People Love
- Salmon with Mango Salsa by Cooking Chat
- Slow Cooker Chicken Enchilada Quinoa Bake by Food Done Light
- Vegetable and Ginger Congee by eating in instead
- Vegetarian Cuban-Style Black Beans & Rice by MealDiva
- White Bean, Corn, Tomato and Rice Skillet by Family Foodie
Staying healthy doesn’t mean giving up desserts!
- Baked Figs with Vanilla and Honey by Happy Baking Days
- Caramelized Pear Tart by PancakeWarriors
- Cherry-Blueberry Trifles by The Life and Loves of Grumpy’s Honeybunch
We heart wine.
- Wine Pairing Recommendations for Heart Healthy #SundaySupper by ENOFYLZ Wine Blog
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.