It is Memorial Day Weekend and that alone takes me back to so many great family BBQ’s and Picnics. In Michigan, the weekend marks the opening of the lakes and beaches. The last frost is hopefully behind us and the planting season is in full swing this weekend. My garden is definitely going in.
Memorial Day, is kicked off with parades and small town festivals that commemorate those who have died while serving our Country. There is a parade through our town that stops at Lakeside Cemetery. The marching band will lead our Veterans, police and firefighters through town to this Cemetery where all will gather to pay their respects to those who have fallen. While my family goes every year and every year, we honor those who have died serving their fellow American, we also stop to pay our respects to my Aunt Cindy. She too is buried at the Lakeside Cemetery in our little town.
My Aunt battled Breast Cancer many years ago, well before the fight to cure had been taken on by the nation. She was an early fighter. Under Strong Woman and Mother in the dictionary, is a picture of her. This salad is her recipe and one that I simply can not make without being transported in time to a place of laughter and picnics, family, food and Bocce Ball. In my large, close knit family, we take our celebrations seriously. This spaghetti salad is served at every get together. Shoot, I believe it has made appearances at Thanksgiving and Christmas a time or two even.
|Meal type||Lunch, Salad, Side Dish|
- 1lb Spaghetti Noodles
- 1 Red Bell Pepper (diced)
- 1 Yellow Bell Pepper (diced)
- 1 Green Bell Pepper (diced)
- 1/2 cup Onion (diced)
- Kalamata Olives (diced)
- 1lb Mozzerella Cheese (cubed or diced)
- 1lb Smoked Ham (diced)
- 3 heaped tablespoons Salad Supreme Seasonings (by McCormick)
- 16oz Zesty Italian Salad Dressing (the whole bottle lol)
I hope everyone has an awesome weekend, filled with family, friends and fun! Let us take time from our busy schedules and remember those who have gone before us.
If you are planning a bbq, picnic or party, be sure to check out all the great recipes that the #SundaySupper team has complied. They look amazing! A big Thank you to Katy at Happy Baking Days for hosting such a fun event.
Salads and Slaws:
- Bacon Ranch Potato Salad from Juanita’s Cocina
- Caprese Spinach Salad from Small Wallet, Big Appetite
- Chicken Chopped Salad from Table for Seven
- Cold Pea Salad from Shockingly Delicious
- Creamy Potato Salad with Roasted Pears, Cilantro and Romano Cheese from Gourmet Drizzles
- German Potato Salad from The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen
- Hawaiian Cole Slaw from Curious Cuisiniere
- Italian Chopped Salad from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Kale Pasta Salad from Hip Foodie Mom
- Mediterranean Pasta Salad from Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Mizeria (Polish Cucumber Salad) from From Fast Food to Fresh Food
- PA Dutch Pepper Cabbage from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Pineapple Slaw from I Run For Wine
- Spaghetti Salad from Country Girl in the Village
- Tortellini Pasta Salad from Supper for a Steal
Sandwiches and Mains:
- Avocado Chicken Salad Sandwich from Momma’s Meals
- Caramelized Onion, Goat Cheese, and Tomato Sandwich from Magnolia Days
- Grilled Bratwurst and Onion Open-Face Sandwiches from The Urban Mrs
- Grilled Chicken Sandwiches with Green Goddess Sauce from Foxes Love Lemons
- Herbs-Garlic and Parmesan Croissants from Basic N Delicious
- Indian Spiced Chicken Drumsticks from Soni’s Food
- Japanese Picnic Bento Box from The Ninja Baker
- Mini Chicken Salad, Avocado and Cheese Subs from Big Bear’s Wife
- Moroccan Fried Chicken from MarocMama
- Pepper, Spinach and Goat’s Cheese Quiche from Happy Baking Days
- Picnic Basket Buttermilk Fried Chicken from Noshing with the Nolands
- Salmon in a Jar from Healthy. Delicious.
- Smoked Trout Deviled Eggs from The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Spam Musubi fromKimchi Mom
- Apricot Oat Nut Bars from Pies and Plots
- Chocolate Dipped Rice Krispie Treat Pops from In The Kitchen With KP
- Cocoa Cupcakes with Chocolate Buttercream from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Fruit Salad from The Not So Cheesy Kitchen
- Fruit Salad with Honey Port Drizzle from Family Foodie
- Loaded Butterscotch Bars from Vintage Kitchen
- Nathan’s Cookies from What Smells So Good?
- Peanut Butter Rice Crispy Treat Truffles from Chocolate Moosey
- Shandy Popsicles With Raspberries from Ruffles & Truffles
- Texas Sheet Cake with Pecan Frosting from Food Lust People Love
- Triple Chocolate Punch Bowl Cake from Neighborfood
- Fresh Limeade with Chia Seeds from girlichef
- Pineapple Sangria from Growing Up Gabel
- Strawberry Basil Lemonade from The Messy Baker Blog
- Strawberry Lemonade from Gotta Get Baked
- Top 10 Wines for Picnic #SundaySupper from ENOFYLZ Wine blog
- Watermelon Agua Fresca from Daily Dish Recipes
Don’t forget, you can join the picnic discussion on Twitter throughout the day, where we’ll be tweeting and sharing the recipes. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm EST. To join in, just follow the #SundaySupper hashtag, and remember to include it in your tweets. You can also check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more delicious recipes and photos.
Do you know about the Food & Wine Conference sponsored by Sunday Supper? It is Being held July 19th – 21st in beautiful, sunny Orlando, FL. It’s a must for food bloggers. Find out more here: Food & Wine Conference