This week’s theme for #SundaySupper is Movie Inspired Dishes hosted by the ever talented Heather at Girlichef . My family loves movies, from my husband to my sons we have fans from all the movie genres at my house. Did anyone notice that I left myself out of that last sentence? I did, I have to admit… My name is Shannon and I do not watch movies. Isn’t that awful? I have always been a reader and rarely sit down to watch a movie. The boys can pop on a movie and I can read my book and we are all happy. Date night with my husband? I would rather catch a Detroit Tigers Game, but I do sit through the occasional movie for him. With my lack of Movie knowledge, I was worried about this theme. What would I make, did I even know a movie that would inspire my taste buds?
Then I found Tea with Mussolini. This movie appealed to the History buff that I am. It takes place during World War II Italy. There is an illegitimate son of an Italian businessman, a group of English women, war, love, action, suspense and based on a true story. It was all there, everything that I needed to be inspired and to sit down to watch a movie. So for this week’s theme, I am offering up a traditional English Tea staple… the ever simple but always delicious… Scone. I made mine using my homemade vanilla extract that I made with bourbon. Yum. I also served it up with some of my homemade strawberry jam that I had canned last fall. Jam with some fresh whipped butter, it was all just awesome.
English Style Scones
|Meal type||Bread, Breakfast, Snack, Starter|
|Misc||Child Friendly, Freezable|
- 2 cups All Purpose Flour (and some extra for working with the dough)
- 1/2 cup Sugar
- 2 teaspoons Baking Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1 stick Cold Butter (This needs to be cold for cutting into the dry ingredients)
- 1 1/2 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 1 Egg (beaten)
- 1 cup Milk (I use whole milk when making these, but a less fat version is ok)
The scones in America verse the ones in the United Kingdom are different. From the studying I did, American scones are sweeter and can be filled with lots of treats. British versions are more biscuit like and not as sweet. I hope you give the scones a try. This dough is a simple one, a perfect way to enjoy some fresh butter and jam. To make it more like an American scone, you can dress it up a bit by adding berries or chocolate…shoot, or by adding both to the dough.
Be sure to check out all the great recipes that are being shared, inspired by movies. Your favorite is sure to be on this list.
Toast (bready things)
- Scones (inspired by Tea with Mussolini) – Country Girl in the Village
- Croque Monsieur (inspired by It’s Complicated) – That Skinny Chick Can Bake!!!
- “Eat Me” Blueberry Lemon Scones (inspired by Alice in Wonderland) – The Messy Baker
- Dog Bone Breadsticks (inspired by Frankenweenie) – The Urban Mrs.
- Individual Deep Dish Pizzas (inspired by Mystic Pizza) – Momma’s Meals
- Basic Bread Recipe (inspired by Agora) – Masala Herb
- Mystical Double Cheese Pizza (inspired by Mystic Pizza) – Webicurean
- Vanilla Cinnamon Pancakes (inspired by No Reservations) – Pies and Plots
No Reservations (soups and salads)
- 10-Minute Potato Ham Soup with Pesto Swirl (inspired by Julie & Julia) – Shockingly Delicious
- Alaska Smoked Salmon, Celery, and Apple Salad (inspired by Salmon Fishing in the Yemen) – Pescetarian Journal
Today’s Special (fish, chicken, beef, and pork)
- الدار البيضاء Fish Tajine (inspired by Casablanca) – Maroc Mama
- Beef and Onions Braised in Beer (inspired by Julie & Julia) – Magnolia Days
- Spicy Seared Tuna with Balsamic Reduction (inspired by Big Fish) – I Run For Wine
- Slow Cooker Braised Short Ribs (inspired by Brave) – Big Bear’s Wife
- Puerco Pibil (inspired by Once Upon a Time in Mexico) – From the Bookshelf
Forks Over Knives (veggie-heavy dishes and sides)
- Eggplant in Garlic Sauce (inspired by The Joy Luck Club) – Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Beet Chips (inspired by Food Matters) – girlichef
- Ratatouille (inspired by Ratatouille) – Noshing With The Nolands
- Mushroom and Asparagus Mini Quiches (inspired by Sixteen Candles) – Home Cooking Memories
- Veg Samosas (inspired by Monsoon Wedding) – My Cute Bride
- Not So Fried Green Tomatoes (inspired by Fried Green Tomatoes) – Mama.Mommy.Mom
- Roasted Taters with Bacon (inspired by Lord of the Rings) – Curious Cuisiniere
- Goat Cheese Basil Grits (inspired by Fried Green Tomatoes) – Diabetic Foodie
Udon (pasta and noodles)
- Big Night Timpano (inspired by Big Night) – Kimchi Mom
- Better Baked Mac & Cheese (inspired by Soul Food) – What Smells So Good?
- Spaghetti with Meatballs and Gravy (inspired by Lady and the Tramp) – Juanita’s Cocina
- Spicy Sichuan Noodles (inspired by Eat Drink Man Woman) – Food Lust People Love
- Chicken Tchoupitoulas Pasta (inspired by Last Holiday) – Gourmet Drizzles
Just Desserts (sweet treats)
- The Best Chocolate Cake (inspired by Chocolat) – The Foodie Army Wife
- Chocolate Almond Torte with Raspberries (inspired by Chocolat) – Vintage Kitchen
- Iocane-Dusted Brownies of Unusual Size (BOUS’) (inspired by The Princess Bride) – The Cooking Actress
- Minny’s Chocolate Pie (inspired by The Help) – Daily Dish Recipes
- Pao de Lo | Portuguese Bundt Sponge Cake (inspired by My Big Fat Greek Wedding) – Family Foodie
- Gluten-Free Chocolate Chip Cookie Pie (inspired by Life of Pi) – No One Likes Crumbley Cookies
- Fantasia Cakes (inspired by Disney’s Fantasia) – NinjaBaking. com
- Chocolate Dipped Almond Coconut Bars (inspired by Charlie and the Chocolate Factory) – Kudos Kitchen By Renee
- (Gluten Free) Orange Soda Pound Cake (inspired by Joe Vs The Volcano) – Blueberries and Blessings
- Peach and Berry Cobbler (inspired by Soul Food) – The Lovely Pantry
- Golden Ticket Peanut Butter-Pretzel Truffles (inspired by Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory) – Weekend Gourmet
- French Macarons (inspired by Marie Antoinette) – Happy Baking Days
- Pistachio and Cherry Cannoli Cups (inspired by The Godfather) – Peanut Butter and Peppers
Bottle Shock (beverages)
- Raspberry Cordial (inspired by Anne of Green Gables) – NeighborFood
- Grapefruit Flirtini (inspired by Sex and the City) – Ruffles & Truffles
- Wines To Pair With #SundaySupper Movie-Inspired Recipes (inspired by Sideways) – ENOFYLZ Wine Blog
Please join us for our live twitter chat tonight at 7pm (Eastern) using the#SundaySupper hashtag, and check out the Sunday Supper board on Pinterest.
SPECIAL ANNOUNCEMENT: Coming to Orlando, FL on July 19-21, the first annual Food and Wine Conference sponsored by #SundaySupper. Visit the website to learn more and join in on the fun.