It’s Summer and BBQ season. One of the largest of BBQ days is almost upon us… The 4th of July. The day that American’s set aside to celebrate Independence. The History of this day and time period is my favorite time period that I studied. In fact, I love this time period so much that when I finished my B.A. in US History, I was quick to jump into Grad School. The documents, the social implications, the morals and indignation of a people. I love every part of the story that is the beginning history of the United States and celebrating it. Doesn’t hurt that I also like parades and firework shows.
This festive #SundaySupper we were asked to come up with something that we can take to a BBQ. I instantly thought, Red, White and Blue theme. Then, I went about deciding to make dessert kebabs, only my cake was too fluffy to hold onto the skewers. Darn when that happens. So, while thinking on my toes… I present to you instead, Red, White and Blue Parfaits. This layered dessert takes advantage of the fresh berries that are (finally) in season. I used simple ingredients all around and they can be layered up and kept in the fridge until you need them. Best served chilled.
I started with a yellow cake. I made this following the recipe from the box of Swans Cake Flour. This is for their classic yellow butter cake. It is perfect. Not too sweet, full of buttery goodness. You can also use a box mix.
As the cake was baking, I began to combine sliced strawberries with a tablespoon of Grand Marnier Liqueur and a tablespoon of sugar. Set this aside and do the same with blueberries. I chose to use a liqueur to macerate the berries, but you can use any citrus juice to do the same.
Next, I made a no bake cheese cake filling. This was going to be the White in my Red, White and Blue Parfait.
No Bake Cheesecake filling
- 16oz Cream Cheese (softened)
- 10oz Sweetened Condensed Milk (Not quite a full 14oz can (to taste))
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
|In your stand mixer or with a hand mixer, beat cream cheese, sweetened condensed milk and vanilla extract.|
|When ingredients are fluffy, set in refrigerator to chill and let the flavors meld together.|
|Use in a parfait or any other layered dessert.|
Once your cake is cool, it is time to layer your dessert. Into stemless wine glasses, I first laid some of the cake. Next, I topped with the no bake cheesecake filling. To that I added the juicy, sweetened strawberries. I then repeated the process of cake, cheesecake filling, blueberries. Finally, I topped my parfaits with freshly whipped cream. This whipped cream was sweetened with sugar and a teaspoon of vanilla extract.
After you have assembled the parfaits, it is a good idea to let them chill in the refrigerator for a bit. The layers do tend to want to come together. As you can see by my pictures, the layers were certainly migrating towards each other as I was slow about taking pictures of them. Go figure. I do have to admit, they were awesome and my kids ate them right after my photoshoot with no time to chill them. That is life with boys/kids lol.
There are so many great BBQ recipes in this week’s #SundaySupper. From whole hog BBQ to desserts and everything in between. There is something for everyone.
I hope you Enjoy,
Ready for a summer BBQ Season? Here are more wonderful recipes from #SundaySupper bloggers:
Hot Off the Grill:
- Best Grilled Pork Chops by Hezzi-D’s Books & Cooks
- Bleu Cheese Burgers by Juanita’s Cocina
- Korean Grilled Flank Steak by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Swedish Blonde Burgers by Eat, Move, Shine
- Hawaiian Hot Dogs by La Cocina De Leslie
- BBQing the Whole Hog, Cuban Style by Webicurean
- Meat Stuffed Jalapenos by The Urban Mrs
- St. Louis Ribs by Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Fish Kebabs with Mint Chutney by Soni’s Food
- Jalapeno Bacon Burgers by Cookin’ Mimi
- Cheddar Cheese Stuffed Bacon Burgers by In the Kitchen with KP
- Curried Pork Sliders with Peanut Sauce & Apple Slaw by Foxes Love Lemons
- Grilled Prosciutto Wrapped Chicken Breasts by Sustainable Dad
- Ditch Dogs by Daily Dish Recipes
- Bison Kabobs by Noshing With The Nolands
On the Side:
- Spicy Baked Beans by The Messy Baker
- Wisconsin Roasted Corn by Curious Cuisiniere
- German Potato Salad by The Foodie Army Wife
- Grilled Baby Potatoes With Peppers And Onions by Kudos Kitchen by Renee
- Sausage Potato Salad by girlichef
- Lightened Up Fully Loaded Baked Potato Salad by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Homemade Mustards by A Stack of Dishes
- Spicy Grilled Corn Salad by Magnolia Days
- Layered California Pasta Salad by The Weekend Gourmet
- Grilled Potato Salad by In Fine Balance
- Spicy Bacon and Corn Salad by Hip Foodie Mom
- Three Corns with Japanese Accents by Ninja Baking
- Cucumber Bruschetta by Healthy. Delicious.
- Grilled Zucchini by Supper for a Steal
- Chicken Spinach & Pasta Salad by Family Foodie
- Red, White & Blue Parfait by Country Girl in the Village
- Root Beer Float Sandwich Cookies by Chocolate Moosey
- Gluten Free Brownies by Blueberries & Blessings
- Grilled Stone Fruit Parfait by Pescetarian Journal
- Blueberry Sorbet by Shockingly Delicious
- Strawberry Lemonade Cupcakes by The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen
- Tres Leches Cake by Happy Baking Days
- Beach Cupcakes by The Little Ferraro Kitchen
- Grilled Banana Dessert Bar by Home Cooking Memories
- Berries & Cream Pie by Treats & Trinkets
- Raspberry Lemonade Frozen Yogurt Pops by Runner’s Tales
- More S’mores by Growing Up Gabel
- Blackberry Peach Cobbler by Neighborfood
- Cornbread Cookies by Pies & Plots
- Funfetti Fluff Cheerio Treats by What Smells So Good?
- Pineapple Pudding by Granny’s Down Home Sassy Southern Cooking
In the Cooler:
- Cherry Caipiroska by Vintage Kitchen Notes
- Mint Tea Slushes by Cindy’s Recipes and Writing
- Prickly Pear Margaritas by Ruffles & Truffles
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter each Sunday. We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET and you do not want to miss out on the fun. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos.
To learn more about the Food & Wine Conference 2013 that is being hosted by Isabel of #SundaySupper be sure and check out the website. Awesome Speakers, Sponsors and Location Location Location! It is all there and coming up quick. July 19-21.