Once the heat of July really hits, you will find me grilling most of our meals. Grilling brings an endless array of great ways to makeover meals. Salad and Steak… total classic, we have all had it. Now, Grilled Salad, that is something new. Let me tell you, the colors and flavors that grilling your classic salad ingredients brings out is amazing! You have to give it a try.
This grilled salad is such a great way to use what veggies are in season. Head over to your garden and pick whats ripe or to your farmers market. You can add tomatoes if you have them, yellow squash, eggplants, really anything. Just throw it on the grill. Trust me on this one. Grilled Romaine Lettuce has an entirely different flavor. It is amazing.
Grilled Salad with Skirt Steak
- 1lb Skirt Steak
- 1 Red Bell Pepper (Cut in large pieces, This makes grilling easier. You can slice it smaller before serving.)
- 1 Yellow Bell Pepper (Cut in large pieces)
- 1 Zucchini (cut in 1/2 inch slices)
- 2 heads Romaine Lettuce (cut in half, length wise.)
- 3 Portabella Mushrooms
- 1/2 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil (For your Marinade)
- 1 tablespoon Balsamic Vinegar
- 1/8 teaspoon Ground Cumin
- 1 Lemon (Cut into Wedges)
- Green Onions (sliced thin)
- Handful of Parsley and/or Cilantro
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon Extra Virgin Olive Oil (This is for drizzling on your veggies)
This meal is also great for a meatless option…just leave out the steak. The Portabella Mushrooms add a meaty quality that mimic the steak well. You will be amazed at what grilling can do to your veggies. Who needs a calorie laden dressing?! Not with this salad. The squeeze of lemon mixing with all the natural flavors brought out by grilling makes this a bright, flavorful salad.
Monday - Cauliflower and Arugula Stuffed Portobellas by Run DMT
Tuesday - Loaded Mediterranean Sweet Potato Fries by Neighborfood
Wednesday - Grilled Salad with Skirt Steak by Country Girl in the Village
Thursday - Mango Avocado Quinoa Chicken Salad by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
Friday - Tex-Mex Shrimp Skillet by The Weekend Gourmet
We are partnering with American Family Insurance for the #ChooseDreams initiative. For even more inspiration, follow theFamily Favorites Turned Healthy #ChooseDreams Pinterest board, or connect with American Family Insurance on Facebook, Twitter,Pinterest, Google+, YouTube, or LinkedIn!