One of my family’s most favorite of ingredients is cheese. We like them all. Sharp cheddar to delicate mozzarella, the flavors can be so versatile and compliment just about any dish. Really, can there ever be too much cheese?
What is the trick to cooking with cheese? Tasting it first, of course. You need to be able to pair your cheese with the ingredients of your dish and tasting the cheese fresh from the block, ball, or grated really gives you an understanding of what flavor it will add to your dish.
Another thing to take into consideration when cooking with cheese is how it melts. Are you using creamy brie that may be incorporated into a fondue or sauce? That same cheese may not melt as a topping to pizza or lasagna all that well. Soft cheese like a goat’s cheese also melts at a different consistency than say a fresh mozzarella.
Taste and melting consistency are my keys to success when cooking with cheese. In the dish that I am sharing today, my Cheesy Potato and Ham Bake, I use a hard Parmesan Cheese and a great melting Sharp Cheddar. The Parmesan I grated in order for the cheese to really permeate the dish. The Sharp Cheddar is shredded and melted on top.
Cheesy Potato and Ham Bake
- 5 large russet potatoes (sliced thin...but not shaved)
- 1/2 cup Ham (cubed)
- 1 Small Onion (sliced thin)
- 1 cup Chicken broth
- 1 Garlic Clove (minced)
- 1 tablespoon Butter
- 1/2 cup Half & Half
- 1 cup Parmesan Cheese (grated)
- 1 cup Sharp Cheddar Cheese (shredded)
- Salt and Pepper (to taste)
|In a sauce pan, begin to steep your onions and garlic in chicken broth at a light boil. Take care not to boil over.|
|After the broth has reduced, turn to a medium low heat and add in the Half & Half and the butter. Add Salt and Pepper to taste. Let simmer stirring occasionally.|
|While your Sauce is simmering, thinly slice your ham and potatoes.|
|Into a pie pan or casserole dish, layer first with potatoes, then half of your grated Parmesan cheese. Next, add your ham and top with the remaining Parmesan. Final layer should be potatoes.|
|Pour your sauce over the potato, ham and cheese layers. Top with the Sharp Cheddar and bake at 350F for about 40 minutes or until the potatoes are cooked through.|
|I like to serve this with a fresh sprinkling of Parmesan on each plate and fresh scallions.|
This post is sponsored by American Family Insurance. All opinions are my own. The #SundaySupper team is joining along side and sharing with the American Family Insurance and their campaign to bring families back together for meal times. Family time around the dinner table is such a great way slow down and really enjoy each other’s company. ‘ It is about building relationships and memories. For more on this awesome movement, you can connect with American Family Insurance Company on their website and through social media.
- Linkedin: http://www.linkedin.com/company/american-family-insurance
- Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/amfam/custom
- Google+: https://plus.google.com/u/0/+amfam/posts
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/amfam and with hashtag #FamilyDinnerTable
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/amfam
The American Family Insurance, Back to the Family Dinner Table Pinterest Boards are loaded with inspiration for recipes to share with your family and friends. Be sure to check them out as well as all the wonderful recipes that the #SundaySupper is sharing today and tonight. You can find us chatting live on Twitter at 7pm est. Follow the hashtags #SundaySupper and #FamilyDinnerTable for all the fun.
Here are more recipes with cheese by Sunday Supper contributors:
- Cheesy Buffalo Chicken Soup by Chocolate Moosey
- Fettucine Pumpkin Cauli-fredo by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Cheeseburger Chowder by Magnolia Days
- Three Cheese Lasagna with Meat Sauce by Webicurean
- Japanese Grilled Cheese & Kale Salad by NinjaBaking.com
- Cheesy Ham and Potato Bake by Country Girl in the Village
- Spinach Feta Greek Impossible Pie by Shockingly Delicious
- Cheesy Vegetarian Enchilada Soup by Curious Cuisiniere
- Steakhouse Bacon Alfredo Pasta by Juanita’s Cocina
- 3 Cheese Pumpkin Mac and Cheese by Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Cheddar Popcorn Soup by MarocMama
- Broccoli, Mushroom & Cheese Strata by Momma’s Meals
- Chili Relleno Casserole by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- French Onion and Apple Soup by Supper for a Steal
- Cheesy Italian Sausage & Kale Quiche by girlichef
- Lighter Stove-top Mac and Cheese by Alida’s Kitchen
- Cheddar Potato Dumpling Soup by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Prosciutto, Chevre & Radish Toasted Sandwich by Foxes Love Lemons
- Cheesesteak Poutine by The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Roasted Tomatoes and Broccoli Rabe Flatbread Pizza by Family Foodie
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter each Sunday. We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET and you do not want to miss out on the fun. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos.