Bad day? Rain on your parade? No party invite in the mail? Sometimes, we just need a big bowl of ice cream or mashed potatoes to comfort us, make us feel better. Certain dishes remind us of home when we are far away or they can soothe away the common cold. Food has the power to remind us of better times, perhaps bring a smile to your face, and warm your soul while it warms your belly. Emotional eating may not always be best for a healthier lifestyle though. This week, #SundaySupper is teaming with American Family Insurance and their campaign to #ChooseDreams. We are bringing you healthy versions of classic comfort foods, family favorites with a healthy twist.
The first dish that came to mind, for me, was Beef Stroganoff. I love the noodles, the butter, the creamy rich gravy and the tender but definitely not lean cuts of beef. On a cold Michigan day, I love nothing more than to turn to a bowl of this wonderful dish. While I love nothing more than to turn to the rich goodness of this classic dish, it is not always best to give in to that guilty pleasure.
Today’s healthy Beef Stroganoff is minus the butter and cream. I still use the egg noodles that are such a large part of this classic dish, but I have slimmed it down with lean beef and by substituting Greek yogurt for cream. Fresh herbs, red wine, broth and simple ingredients give this one time not so good for you comfort a less guilty twist. Greek yogurt has a tang like the classic sour cream and melts into the broth giving it a creamy texture that your family will recognize from the classic dish, but with no butter, cream, fatty cuts of meat or flour. I hope you enjoy.
Healthy Beef Stroganoff
- 1.5 cups Beef Broth (Low Sodium)
- 2/3 cups Greek Yogurt (Plain, non-fat for less fat and calories)
- 2 tablespoons Red Wine (I used Merlot)
- 1 Small Onion, Vadalia (sliced thinly)
- 1 clove Garlic (crushed)
- 1 cup Mushrooms (I used cremini)
- 1lb Round Steak (sliced thin, any fat trimmed away)
- 1 teaspoon Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 dash Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 teaspoon Salt (to start, add more as needed to taste)
- 1 teaspoon Fresh Cracked Black Pepper (to start, add more as needed to taste)
- 1lb Egg Noodles
- Scallions (for finishing)
|Into a large skillet, add the Extra Virgin Olive Oil and saute onion, garlic and mushrooms.|
|As the onions soften, add in the beef, salt, pepper, Worcestershire Sauce, broth and wine. Bring to a simmer. Stir occasionally|
|As the beef cooks through, reduce the broth down for approximately 20 minutes. In a separate pot, boil your egg noodles. |
|Once your sauce has reduced, remove from heat and stir in your Greek Yogurt. Drain your noodles when al dente and add to your sauce to finish.|
|If sauce gets too thick, add additional beef broth. Serve warm with a sprinkling of scallions or chives on top.|
American Family Insurance is asking us to #ChooseDreams. Have I said lately just how much I love this wonderful concept?! Today’s theme is not just about choosing dreams but also turning comfort foods healthy. It acknowledges our need for comfort and memories, but adds such a great healthy twist that feeds our bodies as well as our souls. I love this concept! Food can create such strong memories and emotions. Why not turn those into healthier options for your table?
American Family Insurance has started a Pinterest Board to help inspire you, Family Favorites turned Healthy: http://www.pinterest.com/amfaminsurance/family-favorite-recipes
For even more great things from American Family Insurance and the #ChooseDreams Campaign follow along with social media:
For a healthy dose of comfort, be sure so check out both the Savory and Sweet side of choosing dreams.
They are just fantastic and perfect for the family that wants to #ChooseDreams with eating healthy meals together!
- Angel Hair & Zucchini Noodles with Fresh Tomato Sauce by Ruffles & Truffles
- Baked Vegetable Egg Rolls by Curious Cuisiniere
- Beef Stroganoff by Country Girl in the Village
- Buffalo Cauli-Tots by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Corn and Crab Chowder by The Dinner-Mom
- Crab Cake Salad by Family Foodie
- Grilled Portabella Mushrooms On Red Pepper Slaw with Cucumber Dressing by Seduction In The Kitchen
- Healthy Chicken Salad by Run DMT
- Lighter Chipotle Beef Tacos by Alida’s Kitchen
- Meatballs with Vegetable Noodles and Fresh Tomato Sauce by The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Roasted Cauliflower Mac & Cheese by The Messy Baker
- Spaghetti Squash with Mushrooms and Spinach by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Tex Mex Enchilada Skillet Lasagna by Neighborfood
- Zucchini Meat Lasagna by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Chewy Coconut Granola Bars by Savvy Eats
- Enlightened Southern Banana Puddings by The Weekend Gourmet
- Mom’s Fruit Salad by Magnolia Days
- Strawberry Vanilla Canap?s by The Not So Cheesy Kitchen
- Superfood Pancakes by girlichef
- Zucchini Carrot Cake by The Foodie Army Wife
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our#SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.
This post is sponsored by American Family Insurance. All opinions are my own.